11.07.2012 Breakfast & Cocktails | 20th Wedding Anniversary in Covent Garden
Put together a sassy entrepreneur, a creative film maker, a lip smacking breakfast, tipsy cocktails and mouth watering icecream and you get Hela and Jeremy celebrating their 20th wedding anniversary in style!
Hela and Jeremy began their anniversary celebrations with breakfast at Christopher’s chic Martini Bar in Covent Garden. Over breakfast Hela and Jeremy showed me keepsakes from their wedding; the wedding favours (sugared almonds in lace), a cork inscribed with their names and the wedding date and Hela’s garter!!
Hela and Jeremy are both about the quirky details and everything about their wedding in 1992 was unique. Here are some things that Hela told me about their wedding:
1. We were married on my dad Piotr’s 81st birthday (he was born on 11th July 1911)
2. The car we hired was a red alvis – in memory of Jeremy’s dad Tony Kay. He had a red alvis when he was a dashing young man about town.
3. 11 bridesmaids. 11 ushers. A football team! All the bridesmaids made their own outfits in mint green raw silk. I didn’t know what anyone was wearing until the morning of the wedding (think ‘Don’t Tell the Bride‘)! They all had different bouquets.
4. Wedding rings : Jeremy’s mum Sheila gave Jeremy her father’s wedding ring. He was called Norman. It was so big and chunky it was turned into two rings. One for me. One for Jeremy. Mine has an inscription – with the date and our H&J crest which was designed by the agency I was working at.
5. We were married in the Polish Church in Bradford. Matka Boska Czenstochowska, the same church I was christenened in 29 years ago.
6. We had our reception at Hollins Hall Hotel. When we booked it, it was still being built so we were one of the first to have a wedding there.
7. The food was a combination of English and Polish cuisine and we had a Vodka and Pimms drinks reception before the wedding breakfast.
8. Jeremy sang ‘You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go‘, it’s a Bob Dylan number that Jez sang to me once, when we were first together. That was the moment I thought I’m going to marry this funny bloke who makes me laugh and has a voice like treacle.
9. We both entertained the guests with our double act of ‘Heatwave‘ and we spent 6 months learning to waltz before the wedding so we could be Strictly Stars for the first dance – which was Sweet Love by Anita Baker.
10. We went hot air ballooning on our honeymoon on a Chateaux tour in France. We stayed in some amazing places!
11. We paid for and organised our own wedding. The norm today. Not quite then.
12. I was originally going to make my own wedding dress. Even bought a sewing machine from the wedding fund and enrolled on a dress making course. Made an A-line skirt which took me 4 months! Dress based on a designer dress called Blossom – which then retailed at £1,800. I had it made by an amazing dress maker in Kew for £795! She also made my going away outfit – pink chiffon with Audrey Hepburn ivory raw silk coat (which I still have and wear today)
Jeremy told me ‘The coach was half an hour late to the wedding (local firm – couldn’t find the church even though it was bang smack in the middle of town!) Flavoured vodka on arrival did the trick for the late guests!
I read half my speech in Polish, phonetically. The best man’s speech was very naughty and at least a couple of people met their life partners that night!’
They’d also brought along their wedding photos, both prints and negatives, and it was a lot of fun to look back at treasured memories of the same day, twenty years previously (did you spot them??)
Breakfast was followed by cocktails, of course! A Mojito for Jeremy and an Elderberry & Sloe Gin Martini for Hela (and maybe a little something for me, but that would be telling…) and deliciously lickable, uber cool ice cream at The Icecreamists.
Congratulations to you both on twenty years of marriage! I had a hilarious morning photographing you, thank you for sharing your celebrations with me. Here’s to another fabulous 20 years! xx
Anniversary breakfast venue: Christopher’s Martini Bar
Anniversary ice cream venue: The Icecreamists, Covent Garden
Hela & Jeremy’s 1992 wedding photographer: Carl Bromwich Photography